Michael, there or should be is a shared an ethic on this list serve.  It
is implied in the name Science for the People.  "for the People" means
that our metaphorical cost-benefit-analysis uses a just and equitable
benefit to humans as the prime criterion whether something--a policy, a
drug, a set of values, etc--is to be supported or opposed.  Furthermore
our focus is primarily on Science.  Since SftP covers substantial
territory, we can expect many posts; some of which as you have expressed
more than once can express reasoned and informed viewpoints that require
our consideration if we are to be creditable.

This last post of yours, T/he Ethanol Backlash/ by Daniel Gross is
decidedly inappropriate.  I am taking these few minutes to explain why,
hoping that you will in response be more discriminating in your posts.
Gross' article is a cynical summary of the apples and oranges of
ethanol policy to which he applies a hand-waving cost-benefit analysis
which grossly values the apples of economic concerns (read capitalist,
profit maximizing) over the oranges of human values.

The benefit to me was that it cleared my gut and the cost that i puked
up last nights dinner.  Please consider carefully that a posting should
contribute to our ability to carry on the struggle that science be a
contributor to a just and equitable human-oriented society.  Gross's
article provides us no new information and needs no refutation from us
because its conclusion is only acceptable to those who already are
convinced that stock prices are more important that the availability of
food stocks to hungry people.

Please, Michael, please be more discriminating

herb