There are 4 great things happening on SftP now!

1. New informative articles being posted (Mandi, M Balter, & others);

2. A move toward developing list guidelines or a clearer sense of how many want none, or some, and what.  I'm for having some.  I am willing to be one of those who pull together the possibilities for the perusal of the larger group.  I am on lists that range from fully anarchic to fully moderated (with varying need, and results).  In fact, I've been collecting scholarly literature on causes of flame-wars, relations of social cuing to list etiquette, and so forth, along with examples of guidelines.

Those we formulate need not be prescriptive, even -- they could be simply a list of such references and a description of our experience (including lately) from which we derive a distillation of what particular things are most likely to be taken badly by SftP people.  We have the literature and data to do some qualitative or 'grounded theory' analysis on this.  Indeed, our experience as a group with a philosophical commitment to openness and anti-authoritarianism would be welcomed, I believe, as a contribution to the growing literature on cyber-community.

I'm interested in helping others in either of these directions.

I would recommend that the work group step aside to a parallel threaded & archived discussion area -- open for everyone's perusal but not adding to this list's traffic except perhaps biweekly.  There are many possible locations; I know several.

3. SftP Cuba trip. This would totally rock. Don't know how I'd afford it but I would find a way! There are other radicals I know here & online who'd be interested (yes, even in Idaho! If it can happen here, it can happen anywhere :-).  I'll post my comments on this subsequently to keep the threads clean.

4. AAAS.  I like this idea - again, will reply separately to a dedicated AAAS thread.

Claudia