http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/badscience/story/0,,2120868,00.html

Bad science

Perpetual motion goes into reverse

Ben Goldacre
Saturday July 7, 2007
The Guardian

You might remember an Irish company called
Steorn: in August 2006 it took out a full page
advert in the Economist to announce that it had
discovered a source of free energy, a perpetual
motion machine no less, in triumphant defiance of
that stuffy first law of thermodynamics.

Almost every newspaper gave it lavish coverage in
return for this modest expenditure. Steorn has
claimed that its machine is validated by eight
independent scientists and engineers "with
multiple PhDs from world-class universities"
(although sadly it declined to name them, citing
mutually binding non-disclosure agreements). It
now also has a panel of 22 scientists on a "jury"
recruited from the ad.

I should therefore like to posit the first law of
bullshit dynamics: "There is no imaginable
proposition so absurd that you cannot find at
least one person, somewhere in the world, with a
PhD or professional post, who is happy to endorse
it."

As we've already seen with the long history of
perpetual motion claims you only need one or two
experts, and as far as the media are concerned,
there's a story. And when the negative evidence
comes in - like this week with Steorn, say -
there is a deathly silence. Shh.

So, on July 4 a scaled down version of Steorn's
technology was to be displayed at the Kinetica
museum in Spitalfields, east London, in front of
live webcams and blinkered naysayers. But sadly
the doors have remained locked, and the most you
can see on the live webcam is an immobile perspex
disc - designed to show some special arrangement
of magnets - and a statement about technical
difficulties possibly caused by "intense heat
from the camera lighting".

I was looking forward to it. At first the device
was supposed to lift a weight, but then Steorn
announced that it would simply rotate. Steorn's
chief executive, Sean McCarthy, said that the
company "decided against using the technology to
illuminate a light bulb, because the use of wires
would attract further suspicion from a scientific
community that has denounced the invention as
heretical".

Let's be clear: this invention is not heretical,
it's just highly improbable (although I recognise
that heresy is an important part of the branding,
because even if it's a thermodynamic one, there's
still something attractively transgressive about
getting one over on the law. Very Billy Idol.
Very Guns N' Roses.).

But in any case I wouldn't worry about the wire,
Sean, because if I see magnets arranged on a
perspex disc then I can imagine a simple way to
keep a disc spinning, by creating a fluctuating
electromagnetic field around it.

And of course, it's amazing to think that the
machine might work, but even more fortuitous is
finding a source of unexpected modest and readily
contained energy in the universe - like it did
with nuclear fission.

Look, I'm with everyone else in the media, and
indeed the world. I want fish oil pills to solve
complex social problems in education. I want one
injection to be a major reversible cause of
autism. I want one invention to solve the world's
energy problems and I want my jetpack. It's 2007
for God's sake. Give me my jetpack, and give me
my x-ray goggles. This future is rubbish.

 Please send your bad science to [log in to unmask]