Self-referential acronymn loved by computer geeks: gnu's not unix.  Unix is a takeoff on multix.  All are operating systems.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Science for the People Discussion List"
<[log in to unmask]> on behalf of "Mandi Smallhorne"
Sent: 10 July 2007 08:17
To: "[log in to unmask]"
Subject: Re: Communist origins of Internet

I'm no techie, but this is irresistible... what is the GNU? Have you
come across The Smoking Gnu?! It appears in Going Postal, the Terry
Pratchett novel, which contains a lovely description of what happens
when a geek-excitement-based technology falls into the hands of
capitalism.
Mandi