Since George makes reference to Science's coverage of this story, I have attached the four most relevant stories that the magazine published. To me, they seem an good example of balanced reporting, giving both sides of  the story and making the news judgement that Chapela's victory in the tenure battle was worthy of note. Whether or not folks here agree that Science's coverage was balanced, it seems clear that there is a legitimate debate over whether the original research was correct or not. And yes, ultimately science has to be brought to bear on that kind of question.

best, Michael