George:

Couple of things.

  1. You got it right in your prior email (segment below) that I am the person who suggested organizing a SftP meeting.  I have my hopes that a meeting with a radial science focus would get a better reception now, especially with younger scientists, although I have no concrete evidence for this.  (Both Balter and Campbell showed interest in the idea off list.)

       Either:

       a. A national meeting called by some of the people on this list after discussing the focus, agenda, speakers, etc., or

       b. a symposium at a AAAS meeting (Balter suggested this meeting to me off list).  Have no idea how to get a symposium accepted by AAAS, I have only organized symposia at meetings of chemists.  The next AAAS meeting is in Boston on Feb 14-18,2008.  Their home page:    http://www.aaas.org/meetings/    has a link on the left side for information about the program, which does not look like it is fixed yet.  The theme for the meeting is:

“The theme for the 2008 Annual Meeting—"Science and Technology from a Global Perspective"—emphasizes the power of science and technology as well as education to assist less-developed segments of the world society, to improve partnerships among already-developed countries, and to spur knowledge-driven transformations across a host of fields. The program will also emphasize ground-breaking areas of research, new and exciting developments, and cross-cutting activities in support of science, technology, and education around the world.”

Sounds almost Disney like.  “Its a small world after all....”  Kind of theme that is ripe for a radical critique.  “Science in the service of capitalism” or “Science for people not profits.”   Not hard to be provocative.  Harder to be effective.

    2.  But, I have never been to Cuba or Haiti and I would love to go.  In fact, the way my work life is going lately, I would
        rather go to Cuba or Haiti.  Less complicated to organize and plan in some ways (I think).  Couple of weeks sounds great.

I think a formal proposal needs to be made to the list and see how people respond.

Larry Romsted

P.S.  Shortly after Balter is brought back to the list, I think all the people who dropped because of list problems should be invited back.  Perhaps they can be encouraged by the idea of the list members doing something, i.e., 1 and/or 2 above.  I will help with this.