While are are talking about the digital divide, here is a column by Marc
Cooper in the LA Weekly about the role of the internet in the electoral
debates.

You Boob

The presidential debates need more people and fewer videos
By MARC COOPER Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:00 pm  FIRST, MY DISCLAIMERS. I
have a home network of six computers, as well as broadband wireless cards in
both of my laptops. My first e-mail account dates back to 1984. I got onto
the Web before anyone I know and would feel nude walking out of the house
without my world-edition Blackberry. That said, this week's CNN/YouTube
Democratic debate was a fraud. Billed as first-of-its-kind, it was the
worst-of-its-kind.

Someone tell me, please, what melting snowmen, fifth-class home-grown
comics, singing taxpayers, questioners filming themselves in their bathrooms
and several jag-offs playing their guitars on camera have to do with
enriching the political process. Is making the American presidential race
even more of a circus than already it is what America really needed? Does
being "Internet savvy"  to use the clueless media's favorite generational
descriptor  mean pointing a lens at yourself while acting like a jackass?
And just when the fate of the most powerful country on Earth is at stake?

Nor was there anything "interactive" in sifting 39 final video questions
from among the total 2,800 submissions Indeed, this was just one more
gussied-up version of tightly managed unilateral and highly scripted
business-as-usual politics. In the end, the questions were posed, or better
said, served up to the candidate, who was then free to say anything he or
she pleased with absolutely no interaction, no response, no follow-up and
therefore no challenge from the questioner. Strip away the digital nonsense
and the candidates merely had to prepare to handle about a dozen easily
anticipated areas of questioning and then stick to their talking points.

When you think about it, the technology to conduct this sort of
pseudo-debate already existed back when Lincoln and Douglas faced off nearly
150 years ago. All you had to do was solicit the citizenry to send their
questions in by pony express, and 39 could have been chosen by whoever it
was who moderated those grand debates. Or, if you wanted something more
instantaneous, you would have waited until the era of FDR, when most
American families had phones and could have dialed their questions in the
same night of the debate.

What we really saw was a perversion of Web technology. The Net really does
provide a potentially formidable challenge to both establishment politics
and mainstream media  but not when cheaply manipulated the way CNN
engineered this farce. Authentic Web-driven power surfaces most dramatically
when online communities exercise collective accountability over institutions
and individuals that were once invulnerable to instantaneous public reaction
and feedback. Just ask George Allen about Macaca or Dan Rather about a
certain *60 Minutes* segment and they'll tell you about the real power of
the Net. Or ask Howard Dean how he once went from zero to $40 million thanks
to a legion of keyboarders.

There are other immediate ways, if there were a will, to make this season's
debates truly interactive. But to get there we would need a lot more
helicopters and a lot fewer webcams. How about carting the candidates from
one local auditorium to another, from Nevada to New Hampshire, and
confronting them with live audiences, where questioners would be free to not
only ask whatever occurs to them but would actually be allowed a follow-up?
Imagine the cold fear that would freeze the hearts of each and every
campaign staffer under those ground rules.

The second way to ratchet up the interactivity of these debates would be,
well, to make them *debates*. This week's CNN version was the fifth or sixth
of the season I have watched, three of them in person as a reporter. And
they have all been equally inconsequential, if not downright trivial, as the
Democratic candidates have simply refused to take on each other. So short of
submerging this crew into a series of open-ended town halls to which they
would never (ever, ever) consent, the next best thing would be to force them
into a format where the only folks on camera are the candidates themselves
verbally duking it out. Just as Lincoln and Douglas did, sometimes for six
or seven hours at a time before truly rapt audiences. I'll take that any day
of the week over some goateed Web-savvy dope mumbling a "wassup?" into his
webcam.

I wish I could say that this was the first and last of YouTube debates, but
CNN has scheduled the Republican version of the same for mid-September. One
can only imagine the auto-videoing wing nuts that will smoke out. To
paraphrase the current secretary of Homeland Security, my gut tells me that
even CNN will figure out how pointless and ultimately ridiculous the YouTube
debates are. They seem destined to quite literally go down the tubes the
same way that Smell-o-vision did 50 years ago  and for the same reason.
They stink.