Now there's a good comment! "Getting usable technical advice and help would often be very difficult..."
I think the dearth and expense of knowledge and skills and maintenance/back-up are likely to be as big a barrier as any lack of computers.
Mandi
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Michael H Goldhaber
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:31 PM
Subject: digital divide

Whatever its origins, the digital divide facing America's poor, and especially African-Americans, and especially children and teenagers is nothing less than tragic. It is the equivalent of southern share-croppers' children in the 193o's not being able to go to school at all because they had no shoes. The typical teenager today is able to take for granted having her own computer, cell phone and TV, and computers are used to discover the world, to gain a sense of mastery to be in  constant contact with other teenagers, to develop tastes and pass them on, to create in all sorts of ways, and to play games. We may decry how teenagers use their computers in many cases,  but to be deprived of the chance to explore what others explore is a devastating loss, segregating off a  a segment of society from all the rest, creating a wall which is likely to last all through adulthood.

When I was little my parents expected me to wear my older brother's cast off clothes. I didn't want to; I wanted what I chose for myself, new. Eric, you are to be applauded for your  efforts to get surplus computers into the hands of the poor, but, just as most poor people in the US today might feel that hand-me-down clothes are an insult, I strongly suspect that many would have problems with surplus, old computers, not to mention that getting usable technical advice and help would often be very difficult. Just as I favor cities installing free wi-fi for all, I believe we should support laws mandating free computers, like free textbooks, for every child.

Parenthetically, I don't believe we erase the "culture of poverty" by telling the poor they could spend their  money or time more wisely. They have to have easy opportunities, and maybe a lot of hand-holding. I think Sennett and Cobb's 1970's book "Hidden Injuries of Class" is worth recalling in this regard.

And let me back Maurice's call for gentleness.

Best,

Michael