*Vermont

*Statewide

7.9.07

*VT0403.06

This is the Vermont Rare Bird Alert for July 9, 2007 covering the period
July 2 - 8, 2007.

This week's highlights include a female RED-BREASTED MERGANSER at
Brattleboro Retreat Meadows on 7/7 and three CASPIAN TERNS on Grand Isle on
7/7.

Two GADWALLS were sighted off Grand Isle on 7/3 and 7/6.

Two LEAST BITTERNS responded to recordings played in the cattails at the
edge of the Connecticut River in Vernon on 7/7, across the river from those
spotted in Hinsdale, NH.

The last of the five MERLIN chicks fledged from their Middlebury nest on
7/5.  A MERLIN was also spotted in Victory Basin on 7/3 and at Northwood
Park in Rutland Town on 7/5.

A YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO was present at Lefferts Pond on 7/3.

Two PALM WARBLERS were observed in the Silvio Conte NWR on 7/8.

The Vermont Institute of Natural Science offers natural history trips,
lectures and programs.  To receive a copy of our program calendar, stop at
one of our centers, call the office during business hours at 802-359-5000 or
visit the VINS' web site at http://www.vinsweb.org
<http://www.vinsweb.org/>.

            This Vermont birding report is a service of the Vermont
Institute of Natural Science.  VINS is a non-profit, membership organization
located in Quechee with a regional center in Manchester.  Founded in 1972,
VINS' mission is to protect our natural heritage through education and
research. Your membership supports these goals and this reporting service.
Updates are typically made on Fridays.  Please report your sightings of rare
or

unusual birds to VINS, or email reports to [log in to unmask]

            If you have any interesting birds to report, you can send your
sightings to the RBA via e-mail at:  [log in to unmask]  Or enter your
sightings on Vermont eBird at http://www.ebird.org/VINS/.

 Mary Holland

Chris Rimmer

Kent McFarland