From: "Dana Rohleder" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 10:31 AM
Subject: [VTBIRD] In praise of Serviceberries

All,

I have mentioned this edible fruit before in several previous posts, but I
wanted to pass along an observation that I noted this morning. The genus
Amelanchier is a superb source of fruit for birds this time of year. Several
species grow native in this area are known by various names such as
shadbush, Juneberry, serviceberry, etc. (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serviceberry ).

Today, at one instant, I had the following species on the serviceberry trees
in my yard: Robin, Chickadee, T. Titmouse, Cedar Waxwing, Goldfinch,
Bluebird, P. Finch, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and Veery. For some reason this
year, the Robin population is down in my yard, which has prolonged the
harvest of the berries, as Robins can make short work of the fruit. I've
never had a chance to taste a ripe berry because the birds get them first!

If any of you are considering planting some trees, please consider this
wildlife-friendly plant. Be forewarned though, rabbits and deer like them
too, so for their early years, they will need to be protected.

Dana Rohleder
Port Kent, NY

"I want to appreciate those of you who wear our nation's uniform for your
sacrifice."- GW Bush, Jacksonville, Fla., Jan. 14, 2005