All,

I have mentioned this edible fruit before in several previous posts, but I wanted to pass along an observation that I noted this morning. The genus Amelanchier is a superb source of fruit for birds this time of year. Several species grow native in this area are known by various names such as shadbush, Juneberry, serviceberry, etc. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serviceberry ).

Today, at one instant, I had the following species on the serviceberry trees in my yard: Robin, Chickadee, T. Titmouse, Cedar Waxwing, Goldfinch, Bluebird, P. Finch, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and Veery. For some reason this year, the Robin population is down in my yard, which has prolonged the harvest of the berries, as Robins can make short work of the fruit. I've never had a chance to taste a ripe berry because the birds get them first!

If any of you are considering planting some trees, please consider this wildlife-friendly plant. Be forewarned though, rabbits and deer like them too, so for their early years, they will need to be protected.

Dana Rohleder
Port Kent, NY

"I want to appreciate those of you who wear our nation's uniform for your sacrifice."- GW Bush, Jacksonville, Fla., Jan. 14, 2005