At 09:50 AM 7/1/2007, Geoff Devine wrote:

>Instead of state income tax and
>state sales tax, we charge $1.00 per car each way for the tourons going
>to Maine and we sell them liquor at the rest areas.

Yeah, well, once they get here we tag 'em $1.75 to enter and leave
the state, with additional tolls elsewhere, and we charge 'em out the
wazoo for both liquor and smokes, both of which are significantly
less expensive in New Hampster, and we DO charge state income tax and
state sales tax.

Of course, Mainers are exempt from none of the above.  Vermont
recently passed Maine as the most heavily taxed state in the nation
when measured as a percentage of personal income.  Maine's
legislature, which apparently views Maine's tax status in much the
same way as Yankees fans view the ALCS, is doing everything it can to
regain the #1 spot.