At 07:27 PM 7/3/2007, K2 wrote:

>Don't assume oil. Assume coal. And  coal from the Powder River Basin
>is quite cheaply mined and doesn't require expensive sulfur scrubbers.

Annnnnnnnndddddddd... taking this thread in a somewhat tangential
direction: I gotta believe there're some John McPhee fans on this
list.  His newest collection, Uncommon Carriers, examines how Powder
River coal gets... elsewhere, and why.  That's one of five or six
stories in the new book, and IMO, not the best one.

It's not a pretty picture. But it IS a beautiful read, as are most
things McPhee.