---- Kevin Broderick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 30 Jun 2007, at 7:21 PM, Skip King wrote:
>

>  From the perspective of a [relatively] recent college grad, I'd
> point out that at least one thing has changed dramatically in the
> past thirty years--the average debt load of a graduating student.
<snip>
>  for example the
> US News & World Report list of top 3 liberal arts schools for low
> debt at <http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/
> college/rankings/brief/lst_libartco_brief.php>.   One of the three
> schools on that list, Lindsey Wilson College of Kentucky, leaves 99%
> of its students with an average debt of $9,389.

I got news for you, if those numbers are accurate, I would argue not much has changed in 20 years.  I graduated in the mid 80's with about $15K debt load, and I attended a state engineering school.    Many of my contemporaries had very similar loan portfolios (generally, it was $2500/year of the federal guaranteed loans - that gets you to 10K right there).

Kevin - I agree with the most of the rest of your post, I'm just pointing out that the numbers I experienced are not quite as bad as your facts might indicate.  I also acknowledge that you said 30 years ago and I am responding with 20 years ago.  But, I think the extrapolation would lead me to the same thesis.