I hear you, Mark.  Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Saab, VW, Ford--I've owned
them all (or my parents owned them and I drove them).  I've seen Jerm
beat the tihs out of his Ford Ranger.  I know inexpensive; 6 cars,
total cost: $1,474 plus a six-pack of refeahcS and a six-pack of
ssenniuG.

If you want reliable, Toyota is your best bet, then Honda.  Subies are
pretty good, but they're not at the same level.

My recommendations:

1) Toyota Prius.  It's expensive, up front, but you'll save a lot of
money on gas.  Invest in good snows.  You'll be fine.

2) Toyota Camry.  The poor man's Mercedes.

3) If you absolutely insist of 4WD or AWD, Skip's suggestion of the
Honda CR-V (Ms. TSNS and my sister recommend them, Joey Tucks has an
older one and isn't really thrilled with it) and Evan's suggestion of
the Subie sedan are just about the best options available, although
Just In said something about the Pontiac Vibe (?).

--Matt K.