Denis said:

> My Mt. Hood buddies all rave about the SW chutes. It is considered one of the
> great classic ski descents of N. America.

For good reason, as it's a long, sustained run. It often has stellar corn snow,
I imagine. And on those days when the corn does not soften, I think it would
still be a safe run because it's only 36 degrees, and thus could be skied
safely with sharp edges and good technique.

>Wish I'd been with you, although I would have skipped that last rock hopping
>turn.  :)

I noted that it was only the two New Englanders in our group that skied that far
down the slope. The other three guys stopped further up and just shook their
heads. I figured since these were my last turns of the year, I might as well
get as many as I can.

T O S asked:
>How long did it take you to get to the summit?

I'm guessing 5-6 hours. We would have been faster if the other guys hadn't
insisted on keeping on their skis for the ascent by using skins and ski
crampons (instead of walking with boot crampons). The snow was so uneven due to
sun-cups and runnels that made it difficult to keep the ski crampons engaged in
the snow. One of the guys bent his ski crampons so badly that it took a long
time to straighten them out.

>Did you have any problems with hikers/climbers post holing your tracks?

Actually, the hikers made it easier for us to ski the uppermost part of the
mountain. The "snow" up there was rime ice, so the hikers broke up the ice
crystals into a smoother surface. In the SW Chutes themselves, there were not
any hikers because it is off the hiking route.

Jim