With respect to a few other points that have been raised:

1.  Small diesel vehicles:  I can understand why someone doesn't want or
need a big truck, but why are there so few small diesels in NA compared to
Europe?  Despite what anyone criticizes about the big three (or in this
case, all the automakers) they are only building what the public wants.  Is
it simply that the California market (where diesels are effectively banned)
is so big it is unprofitable to exclude it from the potential market? Small
diesels are a big part of the future.

2.  Electric:  Biggest red herring ever created.  No one in the oil business
or the auto business killed the electric car.  Smart folks (those who
realized that all electric cars accomplished was moving the source of
pollution to the generating source instead of up and down the street),
killed it.  All and all, a horrific experience from a usability standpoint.
Best quote ever "Electric cars are great, and I think my neighbours should
all drive them"

3. Ethanol:  Interesting argument here.  I love that it's doubled the
on-field price of corn down here on the farm this year.  Most consumers,
however, won't.   It's interesting how study after study demonstrates that
this is incredibly inefficient way to generate fuel (a net production loss).
Again, no complaints because farmers will get rich off ethanol at the
expense of city folks.

4.  Methanol:  There's real potential here compared to ethanol, but methanol
production requires access to vast  (and I mean incredibly vast) amounts of
wood waste (read: acres of clear cutting waste) to make it feasible.  Aside
from the obvious treehugger/political issues,  do we really want something
relatively more toxic and with even less innate thermal capacity (compared
to ethanol) floating around as a primary fuel source?

5.  Veggie Oil:  Now we are talking.  And we're back to talking about
diesel.  Veggie oil is a diesel fuel substitute, not a gasoline substitute.
It is far less inefficient to produce than is ethanol.  It however requires
diesel engine technology to burn the heavy stuff. There are also serious
issues of cold weather flowability to deal with (I'll be interested to see
how BRC starts those  Cats on cold mornings.  This will exacerbate the big
issue with diesels , being that many industrial diesels require block
heaters (and plugging into the grid) to get them started on cold mornings,
thus reducing overall efficiency.

Leigh