On 7/3/07, Miguel Naughton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I don't think you have thought this through.  Assuming we're using oil to
> generate electricity, the cost to get oil to the power plant will not be
> dramatically different from the cost to get it to your gas station.  So
> it cancels out.

Don't assume oil. Assume coal. And  coal from the Powder River Basin is
quite cheaply mined and doesn't require expensive sulfur scrubbers.

I think that the 35-40% efficiency is
> typical and not likely to change dramatically in the next ten
> years.  After
> all it sure hasn't changed much in the last 50 years...

But not because the technology hasn't existed. Back in the  '70s when Pops
worked for NASA they were talking about the benefits of (existing) IGCC
technology.

caveat lector