---- roger Klinger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The easily found fact of the matter is that immigration, both legal
> and illegal, has declined sharply in the last 6 years.  See for
> yourself:
> http://pewhispanic.org/reports/report.php?ReportID=53

Wonderful.  What's that got to do with the debate currently going on in this country?

The debate is not about immigration.  It is about illegal (err, "unauthorized" to quote Pew) immigration.    Do you contend that illegal/unauthorized immigration is not getting out of hand?  I suppose we would need to define "out of hand" to answer that.  Instead of debating that definition, how about we go to your own referenced Pew research and check out this one: http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/46.pdf.  That doc makes it pretty clear (to me)  that illegal/unauthorized immigration, particularly as a percentage of overall immigration, is skyrocketing.

I found page 40 to be very striking.  Pew's research projects that by 2050, 15% of Mexico's population will be residing in the US.