On 30 Jun 2007, at 7:21 PM, Skip King wrote:

> At 06:24 PM 6/30/2007, you wrote:
>> A good friend of mine use to spew the same argument as Skip.
>> Now he has a daughter is a unskilled young adult.   The realities his
>> daughter is experiencing trying to find work has changed his views
>> on this.
>
> Sure.  And I scared the crap out of my parents, too.  Didn't you?
>
> That's why they call it "entry level".  You study accounting or an
> in-demand engineering discipline, you'll get a decent job offer on
> graduating with a B.A.
>
> Study Literature, Sociology, Psychology (like me) or anything that
> doesn't attach hard skills to the training - you're gonna have a
> tough time.
>
> It was like that thirty years ago.  Nothing has changed.

 From the perspective of a [relatively] recent college grad, I'd
point out that at least one thing has changed dramatically in the
past thirty years--the average debt load of a graduating student.
Even aside from the recently-hit-the-news private loan scandal, many
more students have significant debt loads; consider, for example the
US News & World Report list of top 3 liberal arts schools for low
debt at <http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/
college/rankings/brief/lst_libartco_brief.php>.   One of the three
schools on that list, Lindsey Wilson College of Kentucky, leaves 99%
of its students with an average debt of $9,389.   In <http://
www.mankato-freepress.com/local/local_story_035233607.html>, MSU
found that 72% of its students expected to have a debt of at least
$10k when they graduated and that 25% expected to be over $30k.  If
those MSU students are anything like the folks I went to school with,
those numbers are probably on the low side--a lot of students don't
quite realize how much debt they're accruing until they get to the
exit interviews and loan counseling.

And what's an "in-demand engineering discipline"?  Computer Science
grads were commanding pretty darn good salaries when I started at
college...and those average salary numbers, as well as the number of
openings, dropped by the time I graduated.  Even with a good academic
record, some relevant experience at a local software company, and a
constant stream of outgoing resumes and cover letters, I think I had
something like five interviews between April and September, one of
which was for a temp job as a cashier at the college bookstore.
Choosing a major based solely on expected demand is a potential
crapshoot *and* substantially increases the odds of unhappiness down
the line (or possibly sooner rather than later, as a number of the
would-be comp sci students with whom I shared entry-level classes
found out, before they switched majors to something they were
relatively good at).

Heck, if you want economic security, become a car mechanic or a
plumber.  Of course, that's only a good option if you're actually
*good* at either of those things (and my limited attempts are
somewhat tolerable at the former and left me dripping wet in the
latter case).  Otherwise, you're facing economic realities that *are*
different from 30 years ago, in many ways due to competition from
workers who are not American citizens, whether they're here or
abroad.  Our current policies--in some cases de jure and others just
de facto--allow those foreign nationals to use lower costs (and
standards, admittedly) of living as a competitive edge, thereby
driving down American salaries and reducing American job
opportunities.  Where that leads to Americans finding higher-skill,
higher-wage opportunities, it's a good thing; however, not everyone
who is affected comes out on that side of the equation.

Kevin T. Broderick