Having lived or considered living or spent time in all the places
mentioned so far, I have to say "Utah" hands down.  The Marc's are not
exaggerating when they keep insisting that the area has everthing you
could want outdoors-wise, and it supplies that in greater
geologic/ecologic variety than just about anywhere on earth.  As for
SLC, I was amaazed how much more cosmopolitan it has become in the
seven years since I left.  If it were possible for a teacher to make a
reasonable living there, I would move back in a heartbeat.