Well said. My 2 cents:

While the value of that high falutin' private undergrad degree has in many respects diminished in
those 30 years, their perception in American high schools has not. This IMO, and a general
acceptance of huge education, auto, and home mortgage debt as "normal", has caused this problem.
Having a half-blind geriatric steering the big honking SUV that is the Fed didn't help. There are
less expensive, and quality, options out there for higher education, high school grads just need
to be more aware of them and not bred to see them as a mark of failure. The real mark of failure
is over-extending yourself and your parents for a prettier campus and nice name on your resume,
just because they accepted you and your FAFSA form. In certain cases and degree programs, there is
a good ROI on those degrees, but I would contend that those are now the exception, and not the
norm, especially for undergrads. Bottom line, these days, high school grads need to be taught to
look beyond undergrad and budget accordingly. I don't think they are, but maybe things have
changed in 12 years.

Jerm