I hafta agree on the Toyota...we have a Corolla with 215,000 miles and still
going strong. If it weren't for the rust, it would go 300,000 miles.

But no one mentioned the Toyota Matrix. They made it with AWD prior to
2008, so if you can find a 2006, it will be pretty inexpensive to buy and should
last a long time. The Pontiac Vibe is the same car and even less expensive.

Pam has one and it gets 30mpg. I've driven it a number of times and I do like
it. It is small and light and not really powerful, but because it is light it goes
when you want it to go. It is pretty spacious inside for a small toyota. Can fit
the skis with the seats down.

For some reason Toyota discontinued the AWD option on that car, which I find
ridiculous. It is very good competition for Subaru and offers a low-priced and
efficient vehicle with AWD.

-Sharon