Is skiing, right wing, totalitarian and counterrevolutionary?

The French seem to think jogging is

Critics sock it to Sarkozy for jogging

FRENCH President Nicolas Sarkozy has fallen foul of intellectuals and critics who see his passion for jogging as un-French, right-wing and even a ploy to brainwash his citizens.

Attacks on Mr Sarkozy's pastime, which he has made a symbol of his presidency, began on the internet as soon as he bounded up the steps of the Elysee Palace in shorts when he took office in May. That has become the icon of his hyper-energetic administration. The grumbling has now moved to television and the press.
"Is jogging right-wing?" wondered Liberation, the left-wing newspaper.
Alain Finkelkraut, a celebrated philosopher, begged Mr Sarkozy on France 2, the main state television channel, to abandon his "undignified" pursuit. He should take up walking, like Socrates, the poet Arthur Rimbaud and other great men, Mr Finkelkraut said.
"Western civilisation, in its best sense, was born with the promenade. Walking is a sensitive, spiritual act. Jogging is management of the body. The jogger says I am in control. It has nothing to do with meditation."
Mr Sarkozy's habit infuriates his critics - and some supporters - because he flaunts it so hard. He has practised it at summits in Brussels and Germany and he is looking forward to a bonding jog with Jose Socrates, the Prime Minister of Portugal, which took over the European Union presidency this week.
Until "Speedy Sarko" won office, French heads of state shunned physical exercise in public. The late Francois Mitterrand was privately partial to golf, but the reflective stroll was his public trademark.
Jacques Chirac, Mr Sarkozy's predecessor, was famous for his energy, but in public he moved at walking pace and in suit and tie.
Jogging caught on in France, as elsewhere, in the 1980s and eight million claim to indulge. But Mr Sarkozy has rekindled a French suspicion that the habit is for self-centred individualists such as the Americans who popularised it.
"Jogging is, of course, about performance and individualism, values that are traditionally ascribed to the Right," Odile Baudrier, editor of V02 magazine, a sports publication, told Liberation. Sports sociologist Patrick Mignon noted that French intellectuals had always held sport in contempt, while totalitarian regimes cultivated physical fitness.
Beyond the self-promotion, some commentators see something sinister in the media fascination with le jogging de Supersarko. The "hypnotic" daily images of presidential running are not innocent, said Daniel Schneidermann, a media critic.
He said Mr Sarkozy used the video images of his jogging as "a major weapon of media manipulation". And some experts have questioned Mr Sarkozy's running style and say that he is not helped by being overweight.
The Times

roger Klinger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On 7/2/07, Chris Moog <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
> Now we're getting to the heart of the matter.
>
> James Dugan wrote:
> > It's good to have you back posting. You have a flair
> > for straightening out the posts that go awry. Aren't
> > the immigrants also excessive post-holers? Jimski

I say we get the illegals to cut illegal backcountry runs for us!

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.