Doing some shopping myself and looking at the Forester, CRV and RAV4.  A
few things I've found.

The new RAV4 (2006 and later) is built on a truck (Tacoma) chassis,
whereas the older ones are on a car (Camry?) chassis.  I greatly prefer
the way the older ones handle (e.g., more feedback from the steering
column).  The CRV and Forester both met with my approval in this regard.

The CRV and RAV4 are on-demand AWD, engaging when the computer tells
them it's needed.  The RAV4 (perhaps the CRV too) also has a lockout
switch.  I don't know enough about the technologies to state whether
this is an advantage for the sube in mixed driving conditions, but I do
know it means the RAV4 and CRV get better gas mileage.

You sit much higher off the ground in the RAV4 and CRV than the
Forester, despite having lower ground clearance.  This translates to a
larger cabin with more storage space and more room for whomever sits in
the back seat (i.e., their legs can hang down instead of being thrust
forward toward the back of the front seats).

I'm a big fan of Subarus, but I definitely like the CRV and would choose
it over an Outback, if not a Forester (based largely on price).  My
guess is we'll get a Forester, however, since my wife likes it, if for
no other reason than sharing the same chassis as her current Imprezza
and therfore handling more or less identically.

In terms of reliability, Subaru had some big engine problems in the 2002
and slightly earlier editions of the 2.5L engine.  Don't get anything
older than a 2003, and I'm leaning towards the still more reliable
2004/2005s myself.  The CRV follows a similar reliability pattern
(although the magnitude of the probelms aren't as great here).  The RAV4
looks pretty bomber back at least through 2003 and perhaps further.

- Patrick