Original article about Oscar is in this week's New England Journal.

We have a very moody black cat named Maggie, who is not friendly to our
other animals (though she's affectionate with us).  When our beloved dog
Rosebud was in her final illness (cardiac hemangiosarcoma), Maggie lay on
the sofa right next to her, just touching her, the entire last night before
she died.   She did the same the last few days of my Abyssinian cat's battle
with lung cancer.  We've often commented how Maggie always seems to know
when someone is ill or feeling bad; that is when she will be unusually
loving.  Interesting.

--
Julie Stielstra, MLS
Supervisor, Knowledge Resource Library