Carolyn's quest to get a copy of this article illustrates one type of
failure that can plague health care and potentially affect patient care.
What if this instance had been connected with a direct patient care
emergency? What if it had been a clinician trying to find something
after hours, just didn't have the time to figure out why access was
denied, or didn't colleagues (like those on med-lib) that would get
him/her what they needed quickly?

It might be a informative exercise to do a bit of proactive analysis of
this situation to see what we might learn from it and teach our
organizations about failures in the line of information access /
knowledge transfer. I've been working with colleagues at the VA's
National Center for Patient Safety to develop a use of the failure modes
and effects analysis model [
http://www.va.gov/ncps/SafetyTopics/HFMEA/HFMEA_JQI.pdf ] to help us
understand these types of problems. But -- in the quest for safer
patient care -- others should explore them as well.

Lorri

Lorri Zipperer, Cybrarian
Zipperer Project Management: Helping Experts Excel
847-328-5075 phone
847-859-4008 fax
www.zpm1.com
http://patientsafetylib.blogspot.com/
https://librariansptsafetycop.wikispaces.com/

D.H. Lawrence
If only we could have two lives: the first in which to
make one's mistakes, which seem as if they have to be made;
and the second in which to profit by them.