Dear Colleagues,

The following session at the AGU fall meeting in San Francisco will focus on all aspects of Biomineralization: the fundamental processes involved in shell building, the implications of these processes for interpreting paleoclimate proxies, and the vulnerability of shells and skeletons to global climate changes, particularly ocean temperatures and saturation state.  We encourage you to submit your abstract for the Sept. 6 deadline.

Cheers,
Dave

Convenors:
Anne Cohen
Jess Adkins
Dan McCorkle
David P. Gillikin

B27: Frontiers in Biomineralization Research: Processes, Geochemical Signatures and Responses to Global Change <http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm07/?content=search&show=detail&sessid=394>
Description: The composition and mineralogy of biominerals reflect the chemical and physical environments from which they formed. However, interpreting these signatures is not straightforward because conditions within the mineralization environment are influenced by biological processes, and usually differ from external conditions. Unraveling these biological effects requires an understanding of fundamental pathways and processes of biomineralization. Such insights are also key to understanding and predicting the response of shelled organisms to past and future changes in global climate and atmospheric carbon dioxide. Much of our current knowledge of biomineralization stems from analyses of field specimens, but complementary insights into biomineral formation are now being gained through laboratory precipitation studies of inorganic analogs, culturing studies of biomineralizing organisms, and modeling studies. With this multi-pronged approach, the physical basis of biomineral
 ization may be elucidated, the superimposed effects of biological processes on environmental proxies quantified, and the response of biomineralizers to global change and ocean acidification better understood. We invite papers from field, laboratory, and theoretical studies of biogenic and abiogenic systems related to this rapidly developing research arena.

Note that our session is formally linked to, and will run in conjunction with, session PP24:  Chemical and Isotopic Composition of Marine Carbonate Skeletons: Physiological Versus Environmental Control <http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm07/?content=search&show=detail&sessid=618>, chaired by Anders Meibom and Anton Eisenhauer.

_______________________________________
David P. Gillikin, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor of Geology
Department of Earth Science and Geography
Vassar College
Box 475
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604

phone: 845-437-7138