Hey Tim, I don't know if you have already been suggested but there is also this work by Pagani et al., Science, 22 July 2005, 309, 600-603, where a drop in paleoatmospheric concentration of CO2 during Paleogene was estimated by using d13C of C37:2 alkenone (together with d18O of coeval carbonates and [PO43-] throughout the top 100 m of ocean water).

Cheers,

Paolo Angelo Abballe
PhD candidate
University of Wollongong