We have a Delta V. I needed to replace the filament and I am not
having a lot of luck with the aluminum threads in the ion source
housing this week. I have managed to strip one each on two separate
occasions. Our soon to depart Physics Dept. Machinist has been able to
tap out the holes and adjust the opening in the claws and washers to
accept a non-SS 3/8" bolt shortened to the length of the original SS 8
mm bolt.
My question is this: do these bolts which clamp the source into the
aluminum housing need to be Stainless Steel?
If so, I'll have to order some ASAP, since the machinist leaves the
end of this week and I don't know when his replacement will be hired.
The sooner I hear from anyone on the list who knows with certainty,
the sooner I can get these bolts, if necessary.
Thanks in advance.
--
Charlotte Lehmann
Assistant in Instruction