Depending of organic matter type, hot (80 deg C),
2.5N HCl for half an hour would do it. Filter and
wash thoroughly; the source does not like Cl-.

If handling "sediments" (i.e., "old", resistant
organic matter), there should be no problem. We
have used that extensively for sulphates and
carbonates in Palaeozoic black shales with good
results.

Recent or modern organic matter, however, may be
more labile, and I have no direct experience on
that.

Good luck,

Clemente

--
ROGAMOS a nuestros usuarios y amigos NO UTILICEN
el servicio de CORREOS para enviar sobres y

We kindly request our Users and Friends NOT TO
USE THE SPANISH MAIL SERVICE ("CORREOS") for
letters and/or parcels addressed to us. SHIPMENTS
ARE NOT DELIVERED.

Dr. Clemente Recio
Laboratorio de Isótopos Estables
Fac. de Ciencias
Univ. de Salamanca
Plaza de la Merced, S/N
E-37008 SALAMANCA
               SPAIN

Phone: (+34) 923 29 45 00, Ext. 1540 (Automatic Switchboard)
Fax:     (+34) 923 29 45 14
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web page: http://www.usal.es/isotopos