Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] Gypsum removal
Depending of organic matter type, hot (80 deg C), 2.5N HCl for half an hour would do it. Filter and wash thoroughly; the source does not like Cl-.

If handling "sediments" (i.e., "old", resistant organic matter), there should be no problem. We have used that extensively for sulphates and carbonates in Palaeozoic black shales with good results.

Recent or modern organic matter, however, may be more labile, and I have no direct experience on that.

Good luck,

Clemente

Hi all,

Can anyone suggest a protocol for removing (large amounts of) gypsum from sediments prior to d13C analysis of organic C?

Thanks,
Gabe Bowen

Gabriel J. Bowen
Assistant Professor

765-496-9344
http://purdue.edu/eas/ireh/

Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
550 Stadium Mall Dr.
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907

OIPC: The Online Isotopes In Precipitation Calculator
At
www.waterisotopes.org

--
ROGAMOS a nuestros usuarios y amigos NO UTILICEN el servicio de CORREOS para enviar sobres y paquetes al Laboratorio. LOS ENVIOS NO SON ENTREGADOS

We kindly request our Users and Friends NOT TO USE THE SPANISH MAIL SERVICE ("CORREOS") for letters and/or parcels addressed to us. SHIPMENTS ARE NOT DELIVERED.

Dr. Clemente Recio
Laboratorio de Isótopos Estables
Fac. de Ciencias
Univ. de Salamanca
Plaza de la Merced, S/N
E-37008 SALAMANCA
              SPAIN

Phone: (+34) 923 29 45 00, Ext. 1540 (Automatic Switchboard)
Fax:     (+34) 923 29 45 14
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web page: http://www.usal.es/isotopos