VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING Tina,
That's pretty common with recent BLJA fledglings.

Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve Faccio
Senior Staff Biologist
Conservation Biology Department
Vermont Institute of Natural Science
6565 Woodstock Road
P.O. Box 1281
Quechee, VT  05059
802-359-5001  xt 223
www.vinsweb.org/cbd
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At 03:37 PM 8/28/2007, Tina Scharf wrote:
VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING
Hello knowledgeable people,
    A friend of mine has blue jays around her house that have no, or damaged, feathers on their heads. They look like small blue vultures. Is there some kind of mite or fungus that just affects the heads of birds?  Their other feathers look fine.

   Also, today I saw a mellanistic mourning dove. It was either black or charcoal gray. Unfortunately I was driving and there was a car right behind me, so I couldn't stop to look more closely. But it was definitely a MODO. Has anyone else ever seen on like this?

Thanks,  Tina Scharf

Tina Scharf, MS
Consulting Wildlife Biologist and
Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department