Well, I am not sure, but I think I feel as though I have become a
grandmother...
Yes, there is now a nest of miniscule, featherless hatchlings! They popped
out sometime early this morning, and from a quick look, I cannot tell if there
are two or three chicks. I took some photos, but they are so small and
cryptically colored that it simply looks like some dried grasses inside the  nest,
so I am not sure if it pays to post them. I will try to get some shots
tomorrow, I am certain they will have grown a good deal by then! Right now, they
are about the size of, well, I guess, a quarter.

It is all very exciting. Mom is a very doting parent and will stay on the
nest as I look in from a distance of two feet or less, though she darts off and
flies back a few times. I confine my viewing to less than a minute or two
once a  day.

I have not heard the male singing the past two or three days, but I do see
him frequently searching for food for the female, and now for a nest of
ravenous  chicks.

Several peewees must still be nesting nearby, as they are probably the most
vigorous songsters in the woods here. Late arrival, and late nesters.

Yesterday, as I sat reading on my deck, two scruffy chickadee fledglings  fed
on some seeds I had laid out for the red squirrel, chipmunk and gray
squirrel that were feeding next to me.
The male hermit also landed to grab a seed, but I think the presence of all
these scurrying (not me) mammals spooked him off. Where's a camera when you
need  it?

Well, sorry to ramble on about this event, but I am bursting at the seams
with pride and excitement!

Jane Schlossberg