Thanks, Jane, for the interesting post.
I have noticed that in barred owls as well, seems there is a real sense of
individual personality, pardon the anthropomorphism. Same thing, some will
defend with their lives, others put on a good show but tend to retreat a bit
more.
Unfortunately, I have never encountered a hermit thrush nest so closely
before, and do not expect to be able to repeat this experience.
In truth, the reason I have had these nests next to my front door (the
phoebe earlier on) is that I had extensive foot surgery mid June and have been  in
a cast and unable to descend the stairs outside until recently, forcing me to
use the garage door (on one level). Because of my misfortune, combined with
the fact that I live in an isolated wooded area, I have had the good  fortune
of this unusual nesting.
What do they say about that silver lining?
Jane Schlossberg
Saint George