From: "Terry Wright" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:57 PM
Subject: [VTBIRD] Dead Creek/Brilyea Access Today

: Acting on a call from Greg Askew, Dwight Cargill & I spent some mid-day
: hours at Dead Creek, watching shore birds.  Greg had spotted Western
: (saturday) and White-rumped sandpipers, as well as a Red-necked Phalarope.
:
: Conditions were excellent today with nary a breeze and clearing skies.
: Biting insects were virtually absent.  The flats approximately 1/4 mile
: past the first parking lot were wide open with low water levels.
: Hundreds of shore birds were present, with good species diversity.
: In no particular order, the following shore birds species were observed:
:
: 50+ Least Sandpiper
: 20+ Semipalmated Sandpiper
: 15+  Killdeer
: 3 Semipalmated plover
: 1 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER
: 1 WESTERN SANDPIPER
: 1 RED-NECKED PHALAROPE
: 10 Greater Yellow-legs
: 20 Lesser Yellow-legs
: 3 Spotted Sandpiper
: 3 Pectoral Sandpiper
:
: There were also large numbers (20+) of Great Blue Herons and American
: Robins (flock of over 80 birds), Green Heron, Baltimore Oriole (one
: flock of 12 birds), and a good showing of raptors (Bald Eagle, N.
: Harrier, Osprey), along with many more mundane species.
:
: In short, the action is getting good at Dead Creek!
: