Must be the day for fledging. The two chicks have flown the coop, so to
speak. They were there last night, and when I checked at 7:00 am they were not.  I
wish I had seen the event, but from what I can see, they are nearby calling
from some low branches.
While this means my family can once again resume using our front door, not
to mention a successful reproductive cycle for one of Vermont's greatest
songsters, I admit I will miss the journey, however brief.
As I look around, I see the maples changing color already. Somehow, I can't
wait for spring to come again.

Happy birding,
Jane Schlossberg
Saint George