Your analysis is good for a young male yellowthroat.  Your comment on
the bird's behavior is telling. Also the mask on a young yellowthroat is
less extensive (and less dark usually) than on an adult.

As for a Kentucky, its back color is very different from a yellowthroat
and is much closer to that of a Canada Warbler.  Also the yellow
spectacles on a Kentucky are very conspicuous.  Your description of the
bird makes no mention of either of these field marks.

You are right to be cautious about the possibility of a Kentucky here in
Vermont.  There have been only a handful of sightings - just one in the
fall.

You are good to be so careful....

Pipit.