Jeremy Malczyk [[log in to unmask]] writes:

>> pessimistic if the study cited was not controlled for height (might
>> have been, but we'll never find out by reading reuters' article.)
>
>Actually there was a recent study in the NYTimes that said the
opposite, >that Americans have become  statistically fatter and shorter.
I cant find >the full text, but the author is Paul Krugman.

Really?  As of five years ago the long term trend was still toward
taller & fatter:

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=5939

If we're actually getting shorter that would be a significant reversal
of the trend over the past century- I'd like to see the details.  (Must
be alla them pesky underfed-as-kids immigrants or sumpin' messin' up our
fat & happy statistics. :-) )

In the Netherlands the trend toward taller seems to be accelerating.
When I lived there nearly 20 years ago the average post WW-II woman was
about 6'0" tall as an adult, and I'm told now there are a lot of 6'
early-teenage girls.  Trends for men are similar, but for some reason
not in the same proportion- maybe in a generation or so there will be
gender parity on adult height(?).  (Gotta stop feedin' them Dutch kids
HGF or they'll get busted for doping! :-) )

dana
_____________ ________ __