Disclosure: I'm comparing postseason experience b/c that's what counts the
most & where the pressure is greatest. And I'm comparing relief experience.

And Mo leads Eck in everything I could calculate: W=SV/G, H/IP, SO/IP--the
exception is BB/IP.  Another way to look at the longer period of dominance
is that Mo has had many more opportunities to fail.

On 8/9/07, Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'll have to concede that Rivera had a longer period of dominance as a
> closer.  He also played for consistently stronger teams.  But make no
> mistake, Eck was every bit as dominant in his best years.  And he had a lot
> of wins as a starter and was a first ballot Hall of Famer, as Rivera will
> be.  Relief pitchers have generally not fared well in HOF balloting.  I
> don't think anyone else except Smoltz comes close to Eck for excellence in
> starting and closing.
>
> And how about that Roy Face.  3 saves in the 1960 World Series helping the
> PITTSBURGH  PIRATES defeat the hated seeknaY.

Benjamin Kulas

caveat lector