Well, were any of you ever 18 years old?  Have any of you ever, at any age, had your mind go blank under pressure?  I believe that her only mistake was to keep talking.  That is her fault and perhaps partly the fault of the culture of this kind of contest.  Pageants like this are fundamentally ridiculous.  What did we expect of her?

I go to meetings all the time at which people don't have the sense to stop talking.  The corporate and government worlds are similarly afflicted with a culture that leads them to keep talking.