I don’t know if there is anything specifically protecting stonewalls... Shrewsbury mentions protecting them on designated scenic roads— that leads me to think they need some kind of mention in zoning.  Adrienne/Shrewsbury

From: Susie Haughwout <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:41:47 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Stone Walls

Hi Richard –

I did a quick search at Vermont Statutes Online and don’t see anything that appears to be clearly about stonewalls or removing stonewalls.  They are often considered boundary markers and should be treated as such, like an iron pin.  Perhaps a surveyor would know specific statutes regarding them as boundaries.  The treatment of stonewalls may also be the subject of case law somewhere.  Another good resource might be Greg Sanford, State Archivist, at the Secretary of State’s office.

Regards - Susie