Don and all, The distal renal artery when in doubt with close to a 10-0 cos
angle in sagittal or long axis is best imaged in a transverse or transverse
oblique view with the patient in a r or lt decubitus position... There are
always two ways to look at renal arteries. And for supine vs decubitus
position for renal arteries, visualization is your best predictor of RAS.
You should always take your highest velocity from the 2 positions. If you do
it correct you will be right every time. The toughest call I had to make
recently was double renal arteries bilateral and both 80-99% stenosed.
Deseased renal arteries can mirror with your color satuaration up. But we
were correct looked exactly like the angio that put the patient into 25%
renal capacity. Now trust your velocity if you do them correctly. You have
to stay parellel to the wall and look at them in supine as well as decubitus
for every study. Please read up on the literature published and it will
help. Remember vascular is better than MRI angio. Denise Levy, RVT San Jose,
CA