unlikely that the resident is an "idiot" or he/she would not have gotten
this far- on the contrary, he/she is likely educable and it's an
opportunity for you to educate- I always make it my job to tell the
residents that we don't do carotid "Dopplers" or venous "Dopplers" and
haven't since I was a resident and to explain why we don't do carotid
duplex scans for "dizziness" or venous exams for the majority of
suspected pulmonary emboli, it's clear that they have no idea what test
they are ordering, they are just following orders from their senior
resident or faculty, who usually don't know what we do either- their
faculty have no idea what we do, but the residents are at a stage when
they can actually learn what we do and become better users of the
resources- the ACGME says we must teach and test 6 Core Competencies and
among these is Systems Based Practice, which includes proper use of
resources- perhaps your medical director wants to talk to the directors
of the Internal Medicine and Pediatrics residencies with the idea that
you might spend some time telling their residents what the vascular lab
does- by the way, if the resident gets argumentative, let your medical
director talk to him/her and his/her program director, another Core
Competency is Professionalism and arguing when someone is trying to help
and teach you is not professional
Joe

Joseph R. Schneider, MD, PhD
Vascular and Interventional Program of Central DuPage Hospital
Ambulatory Services Pavilion Suite 201
25 North Winfield Road
Winfield, IL 60190
Voice 630-933-4487
Professor of Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School

This message and any included attachments are intended only for the
addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and
may constitute proprietary or non-public information under
international, federal, or state laws. Unauthorized forwarding,
printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please
promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error
by e-mail.