I hiked up to Sterling Pond and Madonna Peak on the Long Trail from
Smuggler's Notch today.  A presumably immature BLACK-THROATED BLUE
WARBLER was still singing a broken song along the trail up to the pond
at about 2300'.  At the pond itself (~3000') BLACKPOLL and
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS were very abundant, with a few BLACK-THROATED
GREEN WARBLERS still around too.  At ~3500' on Madonna Peak I was
quite surprised to encounter a lingering (or possibly in transit)
RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD.  On the trip back down a MERLIN flashed
over Sterling Pond.  What a gorgeous day to be out!

Scott Morrical
South Burlington