The highlight of this evening's visit to Dead Creek wasn't a rarity, but
rather the sheer number of GREAT BLUE HERONS -- a high count of 113,
scanning from a single spot on the causeway between the two parking lots.

Although I'm not a shorebird expert, I couldn't pick out anything other than
YELLOWLEGS (both) and SEMIPALMATED and LEAST SANDPIPERS, though there were
plenty of each of these.  Also saw more KILLDEER (several dozen) in one spot
than I've ever seen.  In the raptor department, one BALD EAGLE (imm.), two
OSPREY, both carrying fish, and one MERLIN in a tree eating a fish.  At
dusk, the BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS appeared -- had a group of 12 in flight
at one point, and a few more at route 17 on my way out.  A very pleasant
evening!

Ken Copenhaver
Fairfax VT