After reading Mark's message, I took a look at the OncologyStat website.
Despite the NY Times article statement about the site being available to
doctors and oncologists, the OncologyStat Registered User Agreeement [sic,
and an eeeek to their proofreaders] says that one only needs to be a
"healthcare professional" to register, so I decided to complete the
registration form. Of the listed professions, I was delighted to see that
Librarian is included!  Elsevier is defining healthcare pro very broadly,
which is an interesting marketing tool.

As a librarian in a community hospital with a modest journal budget, I can
live with a few ads to have access to this many oncology journals! Indeed,
there is a problem with the premise of the NY Times article, which says that
medical journals "often attract few, if any, advertisements" and that
Elsevier "is trying an experiment that stands this model on its head" by
including online ads. We know this is not true, with the plethora of ads -
usually from drug companies -  in many medical journal and medical portals.

Virtually,
Valerie

Valerie G. Rankow, Medical Library Director
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center
Patchogue, NY 11772

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/10/business/media/10journal.html?ref=business