That's some great advice from Jumpin Jimmy regarding the acquisition of
"woodsense" being an important part of Vermont back-country skiing, perhaps
some of the best advice ever given on this list to aspiring off-piste skiers.

Problem is that few people want to put in the time hiking the woods before the
ski season. Some people will hike on trails, but that's not the same as
tramping through thick brush on your own. Not only do you improve your ability
to travel through the woods as JJ mentioned, but you also pick up valuable
information about where to ski in the winter, and as importantly, where not to
even try skiing because the brush is too thick or terrain to flat or rocky.

I've dropped 15 lbs. this summer by exercising nearly every day for the first
time in my life. In the past I was basically a weekend warrior while living in
big cities. Now that I have recreational opportunities starting right at my
house, I'm out doing something almost every evening. I've been trying to
alternate mountain biking and running, both done in hilly terrain for 1 to 1.5
hours at a time. On the weekends I do longer bike rides or runs. I don't like
gyms, but I may be forced to join one as the days get shorter. One of the nice
things about living on the western edge of the time zone is that it still stays
light until 8:15 in the evening, so it will be another month or more of evening
outdoor exercise.

As the ski season approaches, I will be trying to improve my woodsense as
suggested by JJ, in regions where I plan on skiing this winter. I'm still new
here, so I have lots to learn.

Jim