On 9/21/07, Benjamin Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 9/21/07, Alex Friend <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > So... where do Utahns go on vacation?
>
> Colorado City?

Amy and I hiked a canyon above Colorado City once, before we knew what
Colorado city was.
Here's some notes on that experience:
As we drove into town we noticed that there were a lot of young women
pushing strollers.  They were all wearing Little House on The Prairie
Dresses.

At the bottom of the canyon was a tiny reservoir.  Little kids were
swimming in it, fully dressed, slacks and button down shirts.

My experience has always been that when you walk past little kids and
smile at them, they tend to smile back.  Smiling at these locals
produced nothing but hollow stares.

As we ended our hike, we had to walk down a sandy road to complete the
loop back to our car. We watched a large Oldsmobile get itself stuck
in the sand.  The 3 passenger doors opened up, and out came 2 women
and several kids.  Then came several more.  And then a few more on top
of that.  It was like watching some circus clown act in the middle of
the desert.  Anyways, all these wives and little kids proceeded to try
to push the car out of the sand trap while the patriarch of the family
was gunning the gas and burying the car deeper.  As we walked by, Amy
asked if we could help.  There was no response.  She turned to me and
asked "Do you think that they didn't hear me?"  I assured her that we
she was heard just fine.  These people refused to talk to anyone from
outside their community.

> As for me--admittedly, not a Utahrd--I just nabbed permits for Buckskin
> Gulch (right just above the Utah-Arizona border) for the first weekend of
> October.

A wonderful hike.  I assume you'll be heading all the way down Paria
Canyon to the start of the Grand?  Be sure to find the boulder that
has petroglyphs right side up and upside down on it.  There is one
petroglyph on it that appears to have been started before the boulder
tumbled, and then finished, with a new right side up, after the
boulder tumbled.

Also, check out the homestead of Emma Lee at Lee's Ferry at the bottom
of the canyon..  While her husband traipsed around Utah visiting his
other wives and helping organize the Mountain Meadows Massacre, she
ran one of the most remote ferrys in the US, irrigated land by
building dams on the Paria, only to watch the dams wash away with
every flash flood, dealt bravely with indians by walking rig up to
their camps and plopping a bedroll right in the middle of it, and
buried her children near the house.  One of the toughest women to ever
live, I think.  There's a good book about her written by Juanita
Brooks.