T O S wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:58:41 -0400, Evan Osler
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >On 9/21/07, Sharon Lives <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >> I love MTB mostly because of the full suspension bike. If
> it didn't have
> >> the
> >> suspension I would probably not like it as much...too
> jarring for my old
> >> bod.
> >
> >I bought a 29er this summer. It is a lot of fun. Not as
> squishy as a full
> >suspension, of course, but it really floats over the bumpy
> stuff. I can't
> >always keep up with the "full" folks on downhills, but then
> again I probably
> >couldn't do that anyway.
> >
> >I find alpine skiing to be more jarring than road biking or
> mountain biking.
> >A full day at MRG leaves me in far more pain than biking
> ever does (knock on
> >wood).
>
> That is because rocks don't give as much as man made snow.
> That single chair is damn uncomfortable, that probably
> contributes to it as
> well.

If you biked terrain analogous to Mad River, you'd feel different.
Rocks give even less than ice bumps.  Suspension definitely helps
though.  I hopped on a fully for the first time - my buddy's Slayer - to
ride the rocky stuff at Lynn Woods.  The rock gardens were definitely
easier and less jarring, but it enabled me to ride stuff I would
ordinarily have walked, so I felt just as abused.  It would have been
worse, if I had gotten over my disbelief about what I knew the bike was
capable of and really went for it.

Fact is, I can take the abuse much better skiing, using my legs as shock
absorbers than, I can riding, where the arms take their share of the
damage.  Of course, if I skied MRG as fast as Evan, I might feel
different.

- Patrick